Thursday, October 9, 2008

Digital Cameras

We have learned a lot this past couple of  weeks about Digital photography.  Sandie asked us to read 3 articles which were all very informative.  The first one was regarding 100 uses for digital photography.  Five of my personal favorites were 1) Using a digital camera to create a "thank you" card/power point with pictures from their presentation to send to guest speakers, 2) Using digital photography students could create "all about me" type of presentation to show the class when they get "student of the week".  3) I liked the suggestion was to create a seating chart using digital photography. This will be something I implement since I am not very good with names until I've seen the person several times. 4) The idea of taking photos of nouns, verbs, adjectives... would be extremely helpful for students while studying English. Studies have shown that learning the same concepts in different ways increase the ability to retain information. 5)Making a calendar of memories throughout the school year would be another fun way for students to recall all that they have learned and take it home to share with their parents.  There were many great suggestions which I will incorporate in my teaching.

Another article I read was the 10 tips for using/purchasing a digital camera.  I need to print this off when I go pick out my next camera in order to be sure I am getting the most bang for my buck! The article also discusses many of the features on the camera and how to make them work for me.  I am going to try to figure out how to use the "continuous mode" on my camera the next time I pull it out.

The third article I read was regarding a kindergarten class that was introduced to digital cameras.  The educators found through using digital photography students were not only learning skills that will be a benefit throughout their lives, but their reading and retention skills were improving as well.  The teachers had students take pictures from throughout the year to put together a presentation to take home and show their parents.  This was one way the parents were able to get a better feel for what their children were being taught at school.

We also learned how to put together a power point presentation.  Our group focused on the 4th grade geology lesson.  We did it specifically on rocks.  I downloaded the theme song to "Rocky" and added that to my power point... kinda fun!

I think I'm finally beginning to catch up a little bit in this class.  Whew!!!!!  

No comments: